Re: rt kernel and nouveau

On 22/03/12 23:20, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 3/22/2012 3:27 AM, daniel jimenez wrote:
>> I'm using my computer as a guitar effects processor for real time audio,
>> It's meant to be used in group performance so delays are kind of a big deal.
>>
>> I changed the 'Driver' entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from "nvidia" to "vesa"
>> and the rt kernel is working. Regular kernel is not usable like this,
>> though. I'd have to bring back my backed up xorg.conf. Next, I'm trying
>> "nouveau".
>>
>> The above is definitely do-able, although it could get pretty tiresome to
>> replace xorg.conf every time I want to play... Does anyone have any tips on
>> how to run two different xorg.conf files for two kernels?
>
> Seems there is a rather simple, if not elegant, solution.
>
> 1.  Write a script to swap the xorg.conf files back/forth
> 2.  Configure Linux to boot into a text shell
>
> So, you power on and get your Grub boot menu for RT or non RT kernel.
> Pick one.  Then you get dropped to a command prompt.  Run your custom
> script to pick the xorg.conf version you want to run.  Then issue startx.

Or, install the script as an init script, and have it look at uname, or
/proc/version, or something to pick it automatically, before the display
manager starts (or add it to that init script).

Something like:

uname -r |grep -q rt && ln -sf xorg.conf.rt xorg.conf || \
ln -sf xorg.conf.std xorg.conf

With pathnames, I guess.

Richard