query about optical disc format

Hello.

I am running Debian 6 on this computer.

In trying to find what happens with a DVD that is written from a DVD recorder /player and television tuner, I put the DVD in the computer optical drive.

The computer did not automatically load any DVD/CD application, to play or do anything else with the disc, and the File Browser utility does not see the disc.

In looking around in the menu's, I found, in the Applications -> System Tools menu, "Disk Utility", and, in running that, and selecting "CD/DVD Drive", I found that, under "Volumes", it has:

"
DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
1.0GB udf

Usage: Filesystem
Type: Universal Disk Format
Label: DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
"

Does an application exist for Debian 6, that allows access to these discs, and, that allows users to view the recorced video files, on a computer running Debian 6?

Whilst the open/close button on the drive, does not allow me to eject the disc, until I use the Disk Utility option to "Unmount the media", apparently, all that I can do with the disc, is insert it, using the Open/Close physical button on the drive, and then unmount the disk, top eject it, but I apparently, cannot read the disc.

Looking in Synaptic (searching on "universal disk format"), returns three results, and the closest, most applicable result, seems to be the package udftools, which has the package description

"
tools for UDF filesystems and DVD/CD-R(W) drives

This package contains a number of user-space tools related to
creating filesystems in the UDF (Universal Disk Format), which is
primarily used for DVDs, but sometimes also CD-ROMs:

 mkudffs - Format a device, creating an empty UDF filesystem
 cdrwtool - Low-level drive management (e.g. set writing speed, format)
 pktsetup - Set up a packet writing device (/dev/pktcdvd0) for a drive
 wrudf - Maintains a UDF filesystem (undocumented)
"

So, whilst a utility appears to exist, for creatung a UDF filesystem, for Debian 6, apparently, UDF files and UDF fylkesystems cannot be read by Debian 6.

Is this correct?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby