Re: query about optical disc format

On 03/21/2012 10:25 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

I am running Debian 6 on this computer.

In trying to find what happens with a DVD that is written from a DVD
recorder /player and television tuner, I put the DVD in the computer
optical drive.

The computer did not automatically load any DVD/CD application, to play
or do anything else with the disc, and the File Browser utility does not
see the disc.

In looking around in the menu's, I found, in the Applications -> System
Tools menu, "Disk Utility", and, in running that, and selecting "CD/DVD
Drive", I found that, under "Volumes", it has:

"
DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
1.0GB udf

Usage: Filesystem
Type: Universal Disk Format
Label: DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
"

Does an application exist for Debian 6, that allows access to these
discs, and, that allows users to view the recorced video files, on a
computer running Debian 6?

Yes
apt-cache search video |grep DVD |less

Whilst the open/close button on the drive, does not allow me to eject
the disc, until I use the Disk Utility option to "Unmount the media",
apparently, all that I can do with the disc, is insert it, using the
Open/Close physical button on the drive, and then unmount the disk, top
eject it, but I apparently, cannot read the disc.

~# man eject

Looking in Synaptic (searching on "universal disk format"), returns
three results, and the closest, most applicable result, seems to be the
package udftools, which has the package description

"
tools for UDF filesystems and DVD/CD-R(W) drives

This package contains a number of user-space tools related to
creating filesystems in the UDF (Universal Disk Format), which is
primarily used for DVDs, but sometimes also CD-ROMs:

mkudffs - Format a device, creating an empty UDF filesystem
cdrwtool - Low-level drive management (e.g. set writing speed, format)
pktsetup - Set up a packet writing device (/dev/pktcdvd0) for a drive
wrudf - Maintains a UDF filesystem (undocumented)
"

So, whilst a utility appears to exist, for creatung a UDF filesystem,
for Debian 6, apparently, UDF files and UDF fylkesystems cannot be read
by Debian 6.                                ^^^^^^^ file not fylke

Is this correct?

No.  Install the udftools package.
Then do
less /usr/share/doc/udftools/README.Debian.gz which explains how to get UDF working.

Thank you in anticipation.

Your welcome

WT

--