Re: domain name issues

John W. Foster wrote:
> The issue is; I keep getting the domain name changed by some
> software to 'home'.

Is your system configured for dhcp?  If so then it is normal for your
domain name to be set by the dhcp server.

> My router is provided by Verizon Fios (Westel) and the router
> provides primary DNS. protocol is DHCP addressing.

Check that router for the dns domain name configured there.  Change it
to what you want.

However if actually have a server then you probably want to configure
a static address to ensure that the address always matches the domain
name and most importantly that it doesn't change.  When you set a
static address you can also set your own domain name.

Here is a useful reference:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_network_interface_with_the_static_ip

Bob