Re: Latest Linux Kernel 3.x.x Series Compiled for Ubuntu and Debian Linux

On 3/17/2012 9:13 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> If you want the latest development kernel (which you should NOT use EVER
> unless you really know what you're doing or you will end up in a data loss
> situation or broken system sooner or later), use "git" do download and
> compile it yourself.
>
> If you want the latest "reasonably stable" kernel, you can get the source
> packages from Debian or Ubuntu and compile them with a simple command, OR
> you can get one of the backports maintained by known Debian or Ubuntu
> developers.

When I upgrade my server kernels every few months I simply wget the
latest stable from kernel.org, unpack it, read the docs, run menuconfig
and select my options, then build it with the included Debian target:

$ make KDEB_PKGVERSION=custom.1.0 deb-pkg

I test it for a week or two on one system, if all is good I install it
on the others.  Most recent iteration was 3.2.6.

--
Stan