Re: X-server problem

> > i am starting from scratch - reinstalled X + default configuration
>
> Mmmm, unfortunately that won't overide any config files you may have
> changed.
since the config files changed by me were in /etc/X11/ i simply removed
the directory before installing xorg for the second time ;-)

> What version of Debian were you running when it last worked?
i am running debian 6.0 with bckport kernel 2.6.39 on the other laptop,
but i started with 2.6.32 and its worked

> Things *have* changed. For example, .xinitrc has been replaced with an
> .xsessionrc, also you no longer need any "exec /.../evilwm" stuff. (see
> below)
good to know! i've missed it

> So you know about checking "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"?
nothing special there. No problems with graphic card.

> The error "X: user not authorized to run the X server" makes me a bit
> doubtful, although ...
meanwhile i mke2fs the disk and debootstrapped debian squeeze i386 again.
just to be sure i am starting from scratch:

1) installing basic system
2) installing linux-image-2.6.32 and grub
3) installing xorg evilwm and some other progs like vim, less etc.
4) creating a new user
5)  > root@tal:~# ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Mar 14  2011 /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/fvwm2
    in my case it points to /usr/bin/evilwm
    as it should
6) dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
    > But its back to "allowed_users=console", right?
    yes now its back to "allowed_users=console"
7) adding xinit line to /home/user/.profile
8) creating .xsessionrc with
xterm -fn 10x20 &
line in it

after user login ->
"X: user not authorized to run the X server"
no ~/.xsession-errors
no /var/log/Xorg.0.log

root# xinit
-> everything works fine