Re: X-server problem

Hi,

first of all thanks for help!

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:47:38PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> [CCing Andriy, (I'm guessing he is not subscribed)]
>
> Andriy, if you are subscribed please let us know.
i am indeed subscribed to the list

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:26:53PM +0100, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i am currenttly running debian 6.0 with 2.6.32-5-486 on CF-27 (toughbook)
> > 300MHz Pentium II with 128MB RAM.
> >
> > I dont need a desktop (gnome, kde, etc) but would like to have X-server running.
>
> Fine. You should consider using a window manager like fvwm though.
i intend to, but not fvwm, i prefer evilwm. But first i wanted to make sure
X is running.

> > X starts for root, but not for non-root user
> > user is in groups: users, tty, audio, video
>                             ^^^
> Weird, a normal user isn't in that group by default.
you are right, i put the user in the group (it did not helped) ;-)

> > /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config is set to
> > allowed_users=anybody
>
> Mmmm, mine is set to:
> allowed_users=console

this did not helped too ;-)

> > Every time i start X i get:
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
>
> I have:
> root@tal:~# ls -al /dev/tty0
> crw------- 1 root root 4, 0 Mar 14 16:04 /dev/tty0
>
> I'm guessing that your results will be different!
no its not

> > changing of the permissions of /dev/tty0 does not help.
>
> Right. ... Ok. ...  My guess is that you couldn't get X to start, and so
> decided to have a "play" with things and see if you could fix it. Am I
> right or am I right? :)
you are surprisingly right ;-)
i am starting from scratch - reinstalled X + default configuration

> How are you starting X? We need to know the exact commands.
i have a xinit line in my .profile and exec /.../evilwm in .xinitrc
usual configuration, that always worked (at least at 5 different PCs)
and here i am getting
X: user not authorized to run the X server

and after playing around with files, permissions i got:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

> > I would appreciate any suggestions!
>
> First of all, Don't Panic! The good thing about Debian is, it is
> fixable.
i know, thats why i like it so much

> Can you remember the changes you have done?
mostly, aber i set everything to default configurations, just to
be sure

> What is the result of:
> apt-cache policy xorg
xorg:
    Installed: 1:7.5+8+squeeze1
    Candidate: 1:7.5+8+squeeze1
    Version table:
   *** 1:7.5+8+squeeze1 0
          500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

--
Q:	How many Oregonians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:	Three.  One to screw in the light bulb and two to fend off all those