Re: X-server problem

[CCing Andriy, (I'm guessing he is not subscribed)]

Andriy, if you are subscribed please let us know.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:26:53PM +0100, Andriy Samsonyuk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am currenttly running debian 6.0 with 2.6.32-5-486 on CF-27 (toughbook)
> 300MHz Pentium II with 128MB RAM.
>
> I dont need a desktop (gnome, kde, etc) but would like to have X-server running.

Fine. You should consider using a window manager like fvwm though.

> X starts for root, but not for non-root user
> user is in groups: users, tty, audio, video
                            ^^^
Weird, a normal user isn't in that group by default.

> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config is set to
> allowed_users=anybody

Mmmm, mine is set to:
allowed_users=console

> Every time i start X i get:
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

I have:
root@tal:~# ls -al /dev/tty0
crw------- 1 root root 4, 0 Mar 14 16:04 /dev/tty0

I'm guessing that your results will be different!

> changing of the permissions of /dev/tty0 does not help.

Right. ... Ok. ...  My guess is that you couldn't get X to start, and so
decided to have a "play" with things and see if you could fix it. Am I
right or am I right? :)

> I would appreciate any suggestions!

First of all, Don't Panic! The good thing about Debian is, it is
fixable.

Can you remember the changes you have done?

How are you starting X? We need to know the exact commands.

What is the result of:
apt-cache policy xorg

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte