Re: does anyone know where to get the latest aacraid module for squeeze latest version x86 ?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:27:18 -0400, Joey L wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
>> AFAIK, "aacraid" it's included in the kernel, so the latest kernel you
>> have the latest version for "aacraid" you get.
>>
>> Another option could be using Adaptec's own implementation but its
>> availability will depend on the card's manufacturer, you can check if
>> they provide any driver for the card that you can compile and load at
>> installation time (there's a menu entry in the menu that allows loading
>> external drivers).

> I would like to check the manufacture website..i know it is adaptec. I
> just do not know which card it is - they call it something different on
> their site.

"lspci -v | grep -i adaptec" will tell.

Anyway, more that looking into Adaptec's site I would make a search at
the IBM pages.

> Also need the steps to install

What you demand is far from easy :-), not the installation itself but
having to deal with hard disk controller drivers.

You have to decide first what path to follow: install an updated kernel,
compile an updated driver for your current kernel, getting a pre-made
module from IBM or adaptec site... then decide when to install it (at
install time or once the system has been installed) and finally run your
own tests to see if all works as expected.

Needless to say that these operations can fail and thus lose your data
(or make it unaccesible) so before starting to play with the raid driver
make a full backup of the data available on the array(s). It would be
better to have no data on the arrays at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón