Re: KVM problem

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 11:56:53AM -0500, Neal Murphy wrote:
> On Friday 09 March 2012 10:16:48 Jon Dowland wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 06:52:03PM -0500, Neal Murphy wrote:
> > > Howdy!
> > >
> > > A friend is having the devil's own time trying to get qemu-kvm working
> > > for himself. I have no such trouble.
> > >
> > > We are both using Squeeze. I have a quad Phenom-II with 8GB RAM, nVidia
> > > video. He has a dual Athlon with 3GB RAM, ATI video (and recently bought
> > > and tried an nVidia AGP card). Both CPUs support HV.
> >
> > But is it enabled? It is disabled by default in most BIOSes.
>
> He says it is enabled. And double-checked it to be sure.

Ah well. That was my only hunch :)

> Are you saying that qemu should not be expected to work on a non-HV-enabled
> system?

Qemu should work on any system.  What will vary is whether it will use the
hardware-supported VT method of virtualisation, which gives you near-native
speeds.  If that is not available, Qemu can fall back to pure-software CPU
emulation (indeed, that was originally the only thing it did. Then kqemu came
out, which provided kernel-accelerated emulation; then qemu was partially
forked by the KVM people to support using /dev/kvm; then Qemu grew it's own VTG
support which afaik uses /dev/kvm as well.)

My hunch was the problems were due to the software stack falling back to pure
software emulation.