Re: Understanding the -depth option of find?

On Thursday 08 March 2012 12:06:54 pm Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 13:37:12 -0500, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I guess that implies I'd better do something about the permissions on
> > that read-only subdirectory before the next (and each) time I run that
> > find...cpio command.
>
> Nothing you should care about when using the mentioned parameter (-depth).

Ok, thanks for the followup.

> Anyway, I make the backup for my /home directory with plain "tar". What
> are the benefits/drawbacks of using "cpio" instead? I remember an ancient
> discussion about this and IIRC, cpio could perform crc checksums but it
> also had its cons.

I don't know about any benefits to cpio--I've just been exploring / thinking
about modifying my backup procedures.

Probably the biggest reason I dug into that find ... cpio command was because
find has always been sort of my nemesis--I've always found it aggravating to
use (compared to ms-dos equivalents), and I prefer to use locate whenever
possible.

Randy Kramer