Re: Single boot EFI Mac install

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Jan Köster <jan@cbjck.de> wrote:
>> Some more background:
>> Are there working and bootable EFI images?
>> rEFIt works but cannot be convinced to stop delaying the boot
>> process by ~20 seconds (even after deleting PRAM and bless'ing
>> the partition). That's why I've been looking for native (EFI) boot options.
>>
> I've had the same problem. But using grub2 there is no need to use rEFIt
> in a single boot environment.

Any additional steps besides your blog post?

I will most probably not use Fedora but used F15 and F16 for some
time. That shouldn't be a problem, but I had hoped mjg's EFI work
in Fedora to produce a smooth setup experience which F17 Alpha
didn't yet deliver as far as my experiments went. He's doing hard work
and it will sure pay off.

>> Jan, thanks for the detailed explanation. I had seen parts of that,
>> but couldn't make sense of it while "learning" all the undocumented
>> between-the-lines info.
>>
>> Is the EFI image static or would I have to update it occasionally
>> when grub or kernel changes happen?
> The EFI image is static but that shouldn't be a problem. You might want
> to replace it when updating grub.
> The last 6 or 7 kernel updates (fedora) didn't cause any problems for
> me. Linking the /etc/grub2-efi.cfg to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg is the
> important point here.

Maintaining a grub2 cfg file without Debian's or Fedora's generator
(or is it grub2-mkconfig now in grub2?) is actually simple.
Excluding kernel version strings the config should be fairly static.

BTW, do you know the status of the EFI boot stub patches in 3.2 and 3.3?
That sounded useful to directly boot a kernel image as an EFI application.

Fedora's grub2 scripts always messed up the saved boot target
everytime a new kernel was installed. I'd guess some part of it
overwrites the meta file.