Re: CUPS

At 06:57 PM 3/6/2012, Brian wrote:
On Tue 06 Mar 2012 at 13:49:36 -0500, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

> I am trying to install the stable version.  I can't make it work.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> rosenberg:/var/www/Webpages2# apt-get purge cups
>
> apt-get --purge autoremove
>
> rm -r /etc/cups
>
> Here is the result of an attempted install:
>
> rosenberg:/var/www/Webpages2# dpkg -P  cups1.5.2-5
> dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove cups1.5.2-5 which isn't installed.
> rosenberg:/var/www/Webpages2#  dpkg -i cups1.4.4-7
> dpkg: error processing cups1.4.4-7 (--install):
>  cannot access archive: No such file or directory
>  cups1.4.4-7

My reckoning is that trying to go back to stable is fraught as there are
quite a few important changes in the CUPS packaging since then. You may
decide to be wary and just step back to testing but the version there
now is what you have removed on unstable.

However, if you insist on pressing on (and why not, it is a learning
experience) you will have to download 1.4.4-7+squeeze1 from

   http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cups

and then use dpkg -i.

Please let us know how you make out.

Brian -

Thanks.

Not well regrettably.

I tried the stable version and then testing, and had the same result -

rosenberg:/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0#  modprobe parport
rosenberg:/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0#  modprobe parport_pc
rosenberg:/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0# cat modes
PCSPP,TRISTATE

Does that mean that the parallel port is not being properly detected?

When I try to add a new printer, it never gives me the option of a parallel port printer.

Advice and help, please.

Ethan