Re: howto log screen output while booting

On 03/07/2012 11:34 AM, Wayne Topa wrote:
On 03/07/2012 09:13 AM, hvw59601 wrote:
Johan Scheepers wrote:
On 07/03/2012 14:51, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 14:38:24 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:

On wheezy testing how can the screen output be logged.

There seem to to be a bit problem with some missing modules. Too fast
can not read it.
(...)

Boot logs go under "/var/log/messages" and "/var/log/boot" (should
bootlodg has been enabled).

Also, "dmesg|grep module" could also help.

Greetings,

Thanks ,
bootlogd enabled but not working.
Debian Bug report logs - #564149 <mailto:564149@bugs.debian.org> on
squeeze.
Seem to be not working in wheezy too

Works in Wheezy.

I thought it was too until I did
wtopa@dj:~$ ls -l /var/log/boot*
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 6.9K Jan 12 13:07 /var/log/boot
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 6.8K Jan 12 10:50 /var/log/boot.0
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 2.0K Jan 12 09:55 /var/log/boot.1.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 2.0K Jan 11 07:57 /var/log/boot.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 2.0K Jan 10 14:39 /var/log/boot.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 2.0K Jan 10 13:35 /var/log/boot.4.gz

wtopa@dj:~$ cat /etc/default/bootlogd
# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

I am seeing the same on sid! ??????

wtopa@dj:~$ cat /media/sid/etc/default/bootlogd.dpkg-old
# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

UPDATE

Fount the problem.  Even though dpkg -l bootlogd said it was installed.
some how back in January the bootlogd executable had been removed.
Aptitude was able to purge/install the package and the log is now working in wheezy

The Sid is somewhat different.  I moved the weird bootlogd.dpkg-old to
bootlogd and restarted that service and it is now working. I think(?) the problem(s) occurred during the upgrade to bootlogd version 2.88dsf-22, which broke initscripts and sysvinit-utils. Anyway a reinstall on sid fixed it.

Wayne