[SOLVED] Re: Seerious problems after NetworkManager upgrade - WAS: Re: Problem with NetworkManager

Bernard wrote:
Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
Bernard, 5.03.2012:
Tom H wrote:

[Stuff deleted]

#apt-get install network-manager

did a thourough job !!! At one time, it warned that : "The nm applet could not find some needed resources ; it cannot continue...". I clicked on the OK, and the process nevertheless continued up to the end.

Then I re-booted.

The newly installed network manager (yes, it did install despite the warnings that the applet could not continue) seems to work better then the old one. It does operate connecting and disconnecting upon clicking in the right place.

But my system now behaves in a weird way !

At first, it is.... very very slow ! 5 to 10 full seconds to wait an xterm to open after clicking to the icon that is supposed to open it ; same thing with any program.

The program 'top' shows that 90% of my CPU is used by "mutter", which is supposedly a kind of desk manager... 10% of the CPU is taken by Xorg, only a fraction of one percent is free to other applications !!!

I very briefly read the man page of mutter, and tried to shut it down:

#mutter --replace

Then the system got a lot more speed... except that a lot of functions were now unavailable: I can't drag and drop xterms, I can't go from one desk to another....
Well, I just found a way to get out of this. I have uninstalled 'mutter' ; since I could see that such a remove would also remove 'gnome-session', I re-installed 'gnome-session' afterwards :

#apt-get remove mutter

#apt-get install gnome-session

Re-installing gnome-session did not re-install 'mutter' ; instead it installed 'metacity', which is what I have on another laptop on Squeeze. After reboot, the system seems to work perfectly ; the speed is good ; the 'top' test shows that no program uses up most of the CPU as 'mutter' did. Mutter had been installed against my choice, as a side effect of re-installing 'network-manager'. But, now that I have fired out Mutter, my new 'network-manager' still operates all-right !

Thanks for your insights

Bernard