Re: Problem with NetworkManager - WAS: Re: Help needed to repair a damaged dual boot Debian System

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:
> Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
>> Andrei POPESCU,  3.03.2012:

>>> Make sure you have NO definition for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces and
>>> that you have:
>>>
>>> [ifupdown]
>>> managed=false
>>>
>>> in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
>>>
>>> If it still doesn't work after a restart[1] please attach both files.
>>>
>>> [1] not sure why, but in some cases new configurations did not work
>>> properly until a full restart
>>
>> Or you can keep /etc/network/interfaces as you have it now and edit
>> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to have
>>
>> [main]
>> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>>
>> [ifupdown]
>> managed=true
>>
>> (And you have to restart Network Manager.)
>
> I just tested both ways, to no avail.
>
> At first, I must say that my system did not have any
>
> NetworkManager.conf file in /etc/NetworkManager/
>
> The only NetworkManager.conf file that could be found on this system was in
>
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
>
> I can see the same thing on this other machine still on Lenny, where I am
> writing this from: no  /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file either.
>
> the man page for NetworkManager does not mention any such conf file. I did
> not dare modifying /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf
>
> But I tested creating an /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, with only
> ****************************
>
> [main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
> ******************************
>
> As a first trial, I had just written:
>
> ***********************
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
> *************************
>
> in it. But maybe I should have modified permissions and owner ?  Owner was
> root and perms: -rw-r--r--
>
> Besides, my /etc/network/interfaces file did not contain any definition for
> eth0. Still, I tested removing any mention of eth0, to no avail.
>
> Below is my  'etc/network/interfaces' file :
>
> *************************************
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

The file in "/etc/dbus-1/system.d/" is useful (to systems) if you have
systemd installed.

Do you have network access?

With your current setup, "managed=false" and eth0 defined in
"/etc/network/interfaces" you can control eth0 with ifup and if down.

With "managed=true", you'd have to use NM to bring up or take down eth0.