Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On Wed 29 Feb 2012 at 23:48:22 +0300, Stayvoid wrote:

> This guide wasn't helpful. "modprobe nouveau" outputs nothing and

It wouldn't output anything if the module was already in place.

> there is no nouveau module in the output of "lsmod." But nouveau

That is extremely surprising considering you have shown a dmesg output
elsewhere which displays it being brought into use and being used for
the framebuffer on the console.

> appears in the output of "lspci -vv."

I don't suppose it said 'Kernel driver in use: nouveau?

> Let's try to fix it in gNewSense. (My version is based on Squeeze.)

gNewSense is nearly three years old and, I think, based on Ubuntu. The
suggested mismatch is most likely the cause of X not running. In Debian
at that time nouveau packages were possibly classed as experimental.