Re: not in X. man command does not respect set bell-style visible

On 19:01 Wed 29 Feb     , Sven Joachim wrote:

> This is because .inputrc is only honored by programs that use readline,
> and the standard pager does not use that.
>
> > how to get rid of this?
>
> Make sure that less (the standard pager) is invoked with the "-q"
> option.  E.g. set PAGER="/usr/bin/less -q" in the environment.

Thank you that explains the problem to me.

I see now that unless less is invoked with the -q option i will get the sound.

I see references on google to the fact that the pager is set via the PAGER variable
but when I do echo $PAGER I get nothing.

1) I see that there is a pager
and that
2) man pager
gives me
 man less
and that

3) which pager
is
/usr/bin/pager
which is a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/pager
which is a link to
/bin/less

(this chain i find amusing).

3)
so my system does not seem to use the PAGER variable ??

so how to make
pager link to
/bin/less -q
instead of linking to
/bin/less.

Do I use the alias abiltiy?

I tried to edit the
.bash_aliases
file and created the entries

pager='less -q'
less='less -q'

within that file

and that successfully shut up sound on  less and pager
but it did not shut up sound for man.

I still have a beepy noisy man.
I tried
export  $PAGER="less -q"