Re: not in X. man command does not respect set bell-style visible

Mitchell Laks wrote:
> I see now that unless less is invoked with the -q option i will get
> the sound.
> and that successfully shut up sound on  less and pager
> but it did not shut up sound for man.
>
> I still have a beepy noisy man.

Camaleón posted what I think is a better solution but I think you may
have missed seeing it in all of the messages.  At least there wasn't
any acknowledgement of it.  Instead of trying to configure all
programs to be quiet you could simply turn the bell off in the
terminal globally.

Camaleón wrote:
> Try a quick test by issuing "setterm -blength 0".
> Should that works, you can add it to your "~/.profile" file.

I don't have a way to test this at the moment but I recall that being
the correct method to disable the bell in the terminal.  And if so
then it would be silent for all applications ringing the bell.

And in X you can use 'xset b off'.

Bob