Re: Exim : change hostname in SMTP greeting

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:43:32 +0000, Shaun wrote:

> On 26/02/2012 16:13, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:38:41 +0000, Shaun wrote: So you basically want
>> to change the SMTP greeting?
>
> Yes, but I wanted to give the reason why also. Just in case it changes
> the solution or recommendation.

Sure, just wanted to confirm your main goal :-)

>>> MAIN_HARDCODE_PRIMARY_HOSTNAME='mail.mydomain.com' in
>> The above seems to indicate the used variable is not recognized, at
>> least in that config file... Mmm, I've found this:
>
> Indeed. But strangely, despite this, it still works. The hostname in the
> SMTP greeting _is_ changed.  Bizarre.

Such varible exists, but it is placed in a different file ("/var/lib/
exim4/config.autogenerated"), or maybe is just I use a "non-splitted"
Exim configuration? I'm afraid I'll never understand Exim's inners :-)

>> 1.2.3. How does exim find out its host name to use in HELO/EHLO?
>> http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#How_does_exim_find_out_its_host_name_to_use_in_HELO.2BAC8-EHLO.3F
>>
>> So I'm not sure you really wanted to do this because editing the
>> primary hostname for a MUA will make deep changes on what hosts can
>> send/relay from/to destinations :-/
>
> I read this and it basically says primary_hostname isn't used by Debian
> and changing it is dangerous.  changing the hostname _should_ only
> change what is regarded as another delivery location _aside_ from the
> configured dc_other_hostnames. i.e. the domains in dc_other_hostnames
> should still be accepted just fine.

Yes, that variable manages the main hostname and at least in other mail
servers is a vital variable you won't like to play with on a production
system because it can break many things.

>> I don't know Exim too much (I'm a Postfix fellow) but it seems there is
>> a variable that takes cares of the welcome message ("dc_smtp_banner")
>> although not sure if this will make your DNS tool checker happier :-)
>
> I'll take a look into dc_smtp_banner to see if it can be used. Thanks. I
> also wanted to just check with the people here that the suggestion by
> this DNS health checking tool was actually good. i.e. I'm not following
> bad advice.

Well, my e-mail server usually fails for some DNS checks because I'm not the
owner of the IP I have assigned, but my ISP, and the ISP does not have a PTR
setting that matches with my domain name but theirs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón