Re: Exim : change hostname in SMTP greeting

On 26/02/2012 16:13, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:38:41 +0000, Shaun wrote:
> So you basically want to change the SMTP greeting?

Yes, but I wanted to give the reason why also. Just in case it changes
the solution or recommendation.

>> MAIN_HARDCODE_PRIMARY_HOSTNAME='mail.mydomain.com' in
> The above seems to indicate the used variable is not recognized, at least
> in that config file... Mmm, I've found this:

Indeed. But strangely, despite this, it still works. The hostname in the
SMTP greeting _is_ changed.  Bizarre.

> 1.2.3. How does exim find out its host name to use in HELO/EHLO?
> http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#How_does_exim_find_out_its_host_name_to_use_in_HELO.2BAC8-EHLO.3F
>
> So I'm not sure you really wanted to do this because editing the primary
> hostname for a MUA will make deep changes on what hosts can send/relay
> from/to destinations :-/

I read this and it basically says primary_hostname isn't used by Debian
and changing it is dangerous.  changing the hostname _should_ only
change what is regarded as another delivery location _aside_ from the
configured dc_other_hostnames. i.e. the domains in dc_other_hostnames
should still be accepted just fine.

> I don't know Exim too much (I'm a Postfix fellow) but it seems there is a
> variable that takes cares of the welcome message ("dc_smtp_banner")
> although not sure if this will make your DNS tool checker happier :-)

I'll take a look into dc_smtp_banner to see if it can be used. Thanks. I
also wanted to just check with the people here that the suggestion by
this DNS health checking tool was actually good. i.e. I'm not following
bad advice.

Shaun