Re: CUPS on Sid printing blank sheets

* On 2012 26 Feb 16:55 -0600, Brian wrote:
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#tags
>
>    important
>       a bug which has a major effect on the usability of a package,
>       without rendering it completely unusable to everyone
>
> The bit after the comma is the relevant bit.
>
> Now you make out a case for the bug being Grave.
>
>    grave
>       makes the package in question unusable or mostly so, or causes
>       data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
>       accounts of users who use the package.

Thanks for the tutorial.  I quite well aware of the definitions.  You
will also note the the bug I originated is marked Important as at the
time I did not know if anyone else was impacted as there had been no
reply to my original message to this list until today.

> You could start with addressing how the package is unusable for everyone
> (including, of course, those who have inkjet and dotmatrix printers).

Not my job.  Take it up with the originator of the Grave bug report as
this concerns you so greatly.  I've merely continued to report new
information to each bug as a matter of record.

I suspect that if this update hits Testing that many more users will
be impacted.  I know that I will have to put CUPS on my laptop in Hold
status just so I have a machine to print from should it migrate to
Testing in its current state.

> >From the bug report, a 'swath' appears to be two. Mine isn't one of
> them.

Lucky you.  I'm guessing that X number of bugs that exist in the BTS
only affect a small percentage of the user base at any one time.

> Sorry, the bug is in the database; it concerns everyone. Contacting
> anyone at all before contributing is not part of the deal. There is no
> territory off limits as you seek to suggest. It is all ours.

I guess I'm respectful of the Debian process and am willing to allow the
maintainers the leeway to adjust the severity of the bug reports as they
see fit.  And, yes, I've had submitted reports changed by maintainers.
In the end their judgment was proven to be correct.  Do as you wish.

- Nate >>