Re: CUPS on Sid printing blank sheets

On Sun 26 Feb 2012 at 15:55:27 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2012 26 Feb 14:12 -0600, Brian wrote:
> > Bug #660420 at most rates a severity level of 'Important'. Designating
> > it as 'Grave' to prevent it getting into testing is not the purpose of
> > the BTS.
>
> Strangely, I thought it was intended to be used in such a manner as to
> keep severely broken package upgrades from Testing which, AIUI, is
> *supposed* to be stable enough to be frozen at any time so the remaining
> RC bugs can be shaken out for a Stable release.  ISTM that parts of
> recent GNOME upgrades were kept out of Testing by this method.

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#tags

   important
      a bug which has a major effect on the usability of a package,
      without rendering it completely unusable to everyone

The bit after the comma is the relevant bit.

Now you make out a case for the bug being Grave.

   grave
      makes the package in question unusable or mostly so, or causes
      data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
      accounts of users who use the package.

You could start with addressing how the package is unusable for everyone
(including, of course, those who have inkjet and dotmatrix printers).

> Breaking a swath of heretofore working PostScript printers seems grave
> enough to me to keep this update from affecting a larger user base.

>From the bug report, a 'swath' appears to be two. Mine isn't one of
them.

> > Bug #660852 can be categorised in a similar way.
>
> I don't have his issue but I'm not going to deny he's experiencing
> trouble.

Of course he is. But it's not a Grave bug.

> > If the CUPS maintainers don't do downgrade it themselves I'd think of
> > doing it myself.
>
> I would suggest contacting the CUPS maintainers before stepping into
> their territory.  Not consulting them  before modifying their bugs seems
> rather impolite, perhaps even rude.  Do you have any knowledge that they
> are unaware of this issue or disagree with the status of the bugs?

Sorry, the bug is in the database; it concerns everyone. Contacting
anyone at all before contributing is not part of the deal. There is no
territory off limits as you seek to suggest. It is all ours.