Re: how to deal with spam

Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012 schrieb Jochen Spieker:
> Don deJuan:
> > Debian list is a cesspool of spam. This email is only used for
> > Debian and only been used for debians list and yet daily I get at
> > least 10 spam messages sent to the list. I think they should give a
> > major overhaul to the spam filters, or even requiring
> > re-registration would be good.
>
> Requiring registration/subscribtion in order to be able to send mail to
> a Debian list will probably never be implemented, for practical as well
> as "political" reasons. A compromise might be to moderate mails from
> unsubscribed posters, but that requires a lot of people with time and
> introduces a delay.
>
> By the way: even if this list contains 10% spam, that's still quite a
> feat by the listmasters. You need to consider that probably more than
> 90% of mails directed to this list are filtered out before they reach
> the list (and your inbox). Sadly, I cannot find any statistics about
> that at the moment.

Actually I do not know how much spam this list contains. But thats using
CRM114 as the most efficient spam filter I have ever had. But it requires
training and training requires reading lists. Nothing that I like to ask
of debian post- and listmasters given the high amount of lists and those
quite plenty high volume lists. Anyway suggestions to them should go to
them - instead of to this list.

I did not see the spam at all until Hans´ response to it. In his fury he
made the spam visible to everyone who uses a capable spam filter and
otherwise likely would not have noticed it at all.

Thus I repeat my plea not to respond to spam. It just does not make any
sense. (Again I feel myself challenged to just feed direct responses to
spam to CRM114 as well even at the - with CRM114 - rather slight risk to
not see legitimate mail from the responding person again.)

I think it is wise to let this thread come to an end.