Re: Removing hardware identifiers from an existing installation (esp. Grub2)

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 February 2012 21:07, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can also change the hostname but you don't need to do so.
>
> At what point in the boot process is it assigned? I could write a script to
> change it to "some_basename-some_random_ID" upon boot.

It's assigned by "/etc/init.d/hostname.sh". I think that the logic's
that if "/etc/hostname" exists, assign it, otherwise assign
"localhost", but this is from memory so not entirely reliable (I don't
have at the moment a Debian box on which to check).