Re: Looking for advice from the linux gods...

On Du, 19 feb 12, 12:16:06, timothy grey wrote:
> My father is the owner of a small business. He has 2 registers with pos
> software and a machine in the back for photoshop/pagemaker. I set up file
> sharing and backups in windows to hold the pos database and his other
> documents (ads, clip art, etc). He also has a laptop with access to those
> resources. The problem is that he also uses these devices for non-business
> things like web browsing -- and the performance is seriously lacking. I've
> had great success with arch on my systems, but need something very simple
> for him. I'd like to migrate his systems to debian, for its stability and
> ease of use...but i'd like some advice. Does it make sense to have debian
> do the file sharing, backup, and web browsing and then use a virtual
> machine with xp for his business applications (photoshop/pagemaker)? Any
> advice on how to get a nice, non-techhead friendly, setup would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks, -Tim G.

My brother tested Adobe Photoshop CS3 (or was that CS4?) in VirtualBox
with a Core 2 Duo E8400, 2 GB RAM (of which 1,5 GB allocated to the
virtual machine) and some capable nVidia card (with the proprietary
driver). He was quite impressed (no significant overhead added) and the
conclusion was that with more RAM even the host system would be usable
at the same time.

Other than that I subscribe to Allan's recommendation.

Did you consider completely replacing the setup with (Debian) GNU/Linux?
There are some POS softwares and most of them also run under Windows.
Also, Photoshop and Pagemaker might be replaceable by Gimp and Inkscape.

Kind regards,
Andrei