Re: Sticky bit on device files?

Grepping the debian udev source gives:

udev/udevd.c:
udev/udev-rules.c:
udev/udev-event.c:
/* set sticky bit, so we do not remove the node on module unload */

And in line 426-429 of udev/udev-node.c, version 175-3, function
int udev_node_remove(struct udev_device *dev):

if (stats.st_mode & 01000) {
        info(udev, "device node '%s' has sticky bit set, skip removal\n", devnode);
        goto out;
}

I think the idea is that if a kernel module is unloaded, or perhaps more
generally, on an udev "remove" action, the device file in the /dev directory is
kept. udev_node_remove() is only called from the function
udev_event_execute_rules().

So perhaps the sticky bit means nothing to, say, the kernel, and udev gives its
own purpose and interpretation to it.

But this is conjecture.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt