Re: "hostname" question during Debian installation

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Martin T <m4rtntns@gmail.com> wrote:

> During Debian installation there is a question about "hostname" using
> expert installation mode.

In both modes but I don't think that "regular" mode asks you for a domain.

> Am I correct, that "hostname" inserted during Debian installation is
> associated with a local(address from range) IP address:

If you choose "DHCP".

> martin@martin-ThinkPad-T60:~$ hostname
> martin-ThinkPad-T60
> martin@martin-ThinkPad-T60:~$ grep martin-ThinkPad-T60 /etc/hosts
>    martin-ThinkPad-T60
> ::1     martin-ThinkPad-T60     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>       martin-ThinkPad-T60
> martin@martin-ThinkPad-T60:~$

You must've set a static IP address after installation because the
installer doesn't have the "" line if you set a static IP
address within it.

> ..and it's used by few software programs(for example Apache, MySQL),
> but hostname is usable only locally and not reachable from any other
> machine even inside the LAN? In addition, aren't most of the programs
> using address which is mapped to "localhost" in /etc/hosts
> file not to hostname I set:
> <<<<<
> martin@martin-desktop:~$ sudo netstat -lnpt
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
> State       PID/Program name
> tcp        0      0*
> LISTEN      1233/polipo
> tcp        0      0 *
> LISTEN      1057/cupsd
> tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*
> LISTEN      1057/cupsd
> martin@martin-desktop:~$
> If yes, then changing the hostname shouldn't break any
> services/programs associated with it?

You're getting "" in your netstat output because you're using
the "-n" switch. Without "-n" you'll get "localhost".

To change your hostname, check "/etc/hostname", "/etc/hosts",  and