Re: Aptana and Iceweasel

At 04:24 AM 2/12/2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 12/02/12 17:51, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> Dear list -
>
> I  am using Aptana Studio 2 and I cannot get my pagers to display in
> Iceweasel.

Or Firefox, Opera, or any other browser... so you can rule out Debian as
a contributor to the problem. :-)
PEBCAK?  ;-p

> It does not integrate the style sheet.  the files are both
> in the same directory.

Aptana is good - *if* you already know CSS and HTML - don't rely on it
to produce legal, or useful code on it's own though.

To start with - make sure you've got the case of the external css
correct... :-)

Listing the things wrong with your code is probably not as useful as
showing you a basic example of how to do it.

If you look closely you'll see not only what I've added, but what I've
re-ordered and corrected in yours.

Note that I've converted it from static to fluid, and that it's still
very basic, another three divs are in order (content text, navigation or
whatever for within the sidebar, and a footer).

> Here is my code:
<snipped>

> Help and advice, please.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ethan

hmmm...

==========Testy.html==============
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
why put acde above the banner?

Banner

will adjust to suit contents

Sidebar

- I dunno about the fixed height... I usually on used fixed sizes as min.

Amaya is a very good IDE for HTML

I've never met a WYSIWYG HTML editor that delivered on it's promise.
Learn to write code by hand, then you can help an editor do it's job - which is to organise your work. My 2c

Test any page produced purely in an IDE - across a range of browsers, no need to take my word for it.
   * <home.htm>home
   * <about.htm>about

============Firsty.css===========================
body {
       margin:0;
       padding:0;
       border:0;
       background:#ffffff;
       font-size:90%;
       font-family: Helvetica, Arial , "Liberation Sans", "Free sans",
sans-serif;
}

a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active {
       color: #00AAEE;
       text-decoration: none;
}

a:hover {
       text-decoration: underline;
       font-size:200%;
       text-shadow: rgb(170, 170, 170) 4px 4px 4px;
}

#Wrapper {
      width: 100%;
      background-color: #0000ff;

}

#Banner{
     width:100%;
     background-color: #c8e100;
}

#Content{
     width:80%;
     background-color:#f9b7be;
     height:600px;
     float:right;
}

#Sidebar {
     width: 20%;
     height: 600px;
     background:#fffbcd;
     float:left;
 }

Kind regards

I've just tested and it works here, with Iceweasel and Firefox. I mean,
the CSS is applied to the html elements. Another different thing is that
what you write is not what you want to get and your Aptana editor is not
going to be of much help in this regard, you need to knoe the html
basics :-)

What's the expected layout? To put the text of sidebar content inside the
layer you need to close the <div> tag afterwards:

<ul>
</ul>

Anyway, your html code is not well constructed and does not validate¹,
there are some errors you have to correct. Also, consider using xhtml
transitional or strict instead html v4.

¹http://validator.w3.org/

Greetings,

--

Scott and Camaleon -

I have copied both of your replies above.

I AGREE WITH BOTH OF YOU 100%.

I am taking a course [on the internet] in Dreamweaver. Supposedly Aptana is equivalent. My initial feeling was and is that one cannot have a program write CSS and HTML code if one does not know the languages.

I made the changes that both of you suggested, and am being met by failure. I know what is happening -- the style sheet is not being linked into the HTML code, but I cannot find the error. Please give me a hint as to where to look, and I'll try.

Thanks a million for your help.

Ethan
Camaleó