Re: linux-sources

On 02/11/2012 02:14 PM, lina wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/02/12 22:53, lina wrote:
>>> Right now updating I notice the install of linux-source 3.2
>>>
>>> my question is that:
>>>
>>> 1] will it install on /
>>> my / has reached 83%
>>
>> Maybe, depends on your partitioning.
>> If you have only the one partition - yes.
>>
>> (mount will tell you)
>>
>> 7% of free space "could" be sufficient... how big is your drive?
>> (the package is about 73MB, it'll take up more again when installed)
>>

>>> 2] I have installed kernel 3.2.5
>>> is it necessary to have 3.2?
>>
>> Yes - if you plan on building your own 3.2x kernel.
>
> Thanks, it stays quietly under /usr/src as linux-source-3.2.tar.bz2, I
> worried it might be installed in /boots.
>
> what's the kernel-image and kernel-head relationship?

The kernel image is the compiled kernel we run. The kernel headers are
part of the kernel source and are needed, for example, to compile kernel
modules.

For example we could have the C function:

void hello_world()
{
   printf("Hello world!\n");
}

In order to use that function in a program or library, we need to tell
the compiler what hello_world is (e.g. its return type and arguments:
void). For this purpose we use a header file, which would contain:

void hello_world();

We can then call hello_world in any program that includes the header. Of
course we also need to link the program with the compiled hello_world
code, but that's a different story.