Re: problem with emachines (T2260) and Debian???

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:39:05 -0500, marcus wrote:

(please, no html)

> Question: Is there a known problem with emachines (T2260) and Debian???
>
> I'm trying to set up a small samba file server on an old emachine T2260.
> Net Installation program seems to recognize the new IDE HDD (lights
> flash and all that good stuff). Grub installs at the end, tells me I
> have only 1 OS installed - that's correct only debian -- and then at
> initial first boot I get an error message:
>
> DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Did you forget to remove any CD/DVD or floppy disk? :-?

> I've been through all the BIOS options and no combination seem to get it
> to boot from the HDD.
>
> Is there a known problem with emachines (T2260) and Debian???

Most probably a problem with your BIOS, CMOS battery, motherboard or hard
disks given that it's a computer from ~2003 >:-)

Can you boot your installed system from a LiveCD?

Also, you can try a complete power-off (shutdown the computer, remove the
power cord, wait 5/10 minutes, re-connect the cable) and then try to
start it again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón