problem with emachines (T2260) and Debian???

Question: Is there a known problem with emachines (T2260) and Debian???

I'm trying to set up a small samba file server on an old emachine T2260. Net Installation program seems to recognize the new IDE HDD (lights flash and all that good stuff). Grub installs at the end, tells me I have only 1 OS installed - that's correct only debian – and then at initial first boot I get an error message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I've been through all the BIOS options and no combination seem to get it to boot from the HDD.

Is there a known problem with emachines (T2260) and Debian???

Marcus