Re: GNU/Debian Linux vs. facebook, Twitter and other proprietary social media

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:00:54PM -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 12:59:09AM -0300, Carlo Borelli wrote:
> > 2012/2/4 Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt>
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It is kinda off-topic (i'd OT it), and being picky it's GNU/Linux
> > > Debian, not GNU/Debian Linux. Being extra picky i'd ask where is
> > > Manhattan, :)
> > >

> > This topic is absolutely OT and need to be marked OT
>
> I'm looking for specific FOSS tools that will let me do facebook-ish things
> without using facebook. I forgot to mark it OT but it's not too OT for Debian
> when what I'm looking for could be in the Debian repository.

I think somebody already clued you in to identi.ca or status.net
(FOSS, decentralized, federated microblogging. I have my own
installation on a debian server at tonybaldwin.me/status, and
admin the one at http://free-haven.org/status).

But, did you know that Friendica will allow you to cross-post to
Facebook (not necessarily all servers install the plugin)?

Also, both Friendica and Diaspora will xpost to Tumblr,
and you can make Tumblr xpost to Facebook.

For my part, I do still have a facebook acct, largely because I have
family abroad who mostly communicate via facebook, and other friends
who are too [strikethrough]stupid, ignorant[/strikethrough] stubborn to
get off the infernal site.

But I log in once a day to check for messages, and spend less than 10
minutes on there most days.
I post no content directly to facebook.
I post photos, blog entries, etc., either to my own site and send links
via statusnet -> twitter-> facebook, or
post to tumblr -> facebook.

This way, only links to my content go to facebook, and they own nothing.

Of course, both tumblr and twitter are also centralized, proprietary
platforms, too.  I could argue that tumblr is less evil.
I really have no defense for twitter, but, I don't post directly there,
either, just to statusnet, and have my updates forwarded.

Facebook can make no claim to my photos or other content, and the amount
of information I allow them access to is quite minimal.
When I log out after my short sessions, I delete their cookies, too.

This way, I am not directly using either twitter or facebook, but
my friends and family who insist on using them can still follow me, and
we can still communicate.
Not the ideal solution (I'd prefer for all my family and friends to be
on statusnet or something, since that's my favorite), but it works.

You could also use a wordpress installation on your website and have
posts automagically forwarded to facebook with a statusnet plugin,
or use networked blogs (or I think someone may have mentioned that).

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!