Re: GNU/Debian Linux vs. facebook, Twitter and other proprietary social media

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 12:30:05PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Hi Nick.  You may wish to contact David J Patrick who founded
> LinuxCaffe (http://www.linuxcaffe.ca) in Toronto, Canada many years
> ago.  LinuxCaffe is a successful business providing coffee & light
> food running completely on Linux/FOSS.
>
> I assisted David with some of the early sysadmin/architectural work
> for LinuxCaffe.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

> I have to say that a small business should not pass up any legal,
> ethically sound advertising option.  Starting a successful small
> business is hard enough as it is.
>
> My personal opinion is to use Facebook and Twitter as tools to
> deliver your message.  I'd recommend using alternatives such as
> identi.ca *as well*.

I've never heard about identi.ca. I'll look into it.

> Regarding privacy, you should only post only as much info as you are
> happy to provide.  It is true that data mining techniques can infer
> things about you from what you 'like' and even what your friends
> 'like' but a company facebook page wouldn't be used in the same way
> as a personal page so I don't see there would be a lot of data to
> mine.

Using centralized, proprietary social media just doesn't sit well with me.
What if, for some particular event or special, I *have* to give out more info
than I'm comfortable with? Then I'm worse off in the long run.