Re: painfully slow grub2 boot times

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:46:02 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

(...)

> As with many other people, I was experiencing a long delay (on the order
> of a minute) between the "Welcome to GRUB" message and the appearance of
> the boot menu when booting.

Is that on Squeezy, Wheezy, other...?

> Other people had suggested making sure the floppy drive is turned off in
> the BIOS, and making sure your root file system is on the disk you're
> booting from.  Neither of these made any difference in my case.
>
> What *did* work was setting the disk access mode to LBA in the BIOS (it
> had been set to Auto).  I have no idea why this worked; on at least one
> other machine I have, the BIOS is set to Auto disk access mode, and
> there is no noticeable delay.

I also started to experience a delay in GRUB2 (wheezy) but in another
stage: after getting the boot menu, there's a noticeable interval until
the system starts booting.

Anyway, and back to the topic, I can't see a clear relation between the
BIOS IDE disk mode (LBA/Large/Auto/CHS...) and a delay to get the GRUB2
menu because GRUB2 code is supposedly loaded earlier, but it could be
some sort of BIOS firmware bug :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón