aptitude/apt-get update downloads needless translations

I installed Wheezy on a machine and now every time I do an update it
pulls in many translation files on the order of:

Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/main TranslationIndex
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en_US

This was a second run so no download took place.

This is repeated for all manner of i18n stuff and can be several 10s of
megabytes of download that I don't need.  How can I get rid of this
nonsense?  I don't see anything obvious and purging two packages that
had i18n in their names had no effect.  I have a Sid and various Stable
installations and this is the first I have seen of this.

I only speak en_US so anything else is wasted disk space/bandwidth.

- Nate >>