Re: GNU/Debian Linux vs. facebook, Twitter and other proprietary social media

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 12:25:58PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 04 feb 12, 18:26:25, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> [big snip]
> Hi Nick,
> Some issues to be aware of (in no particular order) that I encountered
> while trying to help my brother with his business:
> FLOSS is not cost free. You may not need to pay for the licenses, but do
> you have the spare time to invest in doing your own IT? You can also
> encounter:
> - lack of support from various providers (ISP, cash register hardware,
>   etc.)

There are numerous FOSS POS (point of sale) programs.
Sadly, I can't find any in Debian repos, but I might not be searching
well. (aptitude search "point of sale" shows nothing.

Here are some possibly relevant links:

> - lack of software packaged for Debian. I am not familiar with US
>   accounting, but as far as I know the only software that might be
>   useful for you (besides Open/Libreoffice) is OpenERP.

aptitude install gnucash

> - every time you need to go outside Debian repositories your maintenance
>   becomes (much) more complicated

all tony, all the time!