Re: System locks

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Gilbert Sullivan <whirlygig@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 02/04/2012 11:02 AM, lina wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Thanks, it's fixed
>> after aptitude purge xfce4 xfce4-session
>> and remove some file in .config
>>
>> I guess there is still remainings, cause once I re-install xfce4 and
>> xfce4-session,
>>
>> it came back again.
>>
>> All your suggestions are highly appreciated,
>>
>> Best regards,
>>

> Hi, Lina.
>
> Xfce occasionally corrupts its settings for an individual user. I and
> others have found that this is more likely to happen immediately after
> applying updates, of which there have been quite a few for Xfce recently.

Hi Gilbert,

> I believe that the corruption occurs because most frequently because
> Xfce is placed in some intermediate state by the upgrades that have just
> been applied, and the user logs out or reboots with the "Save session
> for future logins" checkbox enabled. So, the corrupted session gets saved.

You are right. Before I was surprised why everytime I reboot it showed
me the old terminal, not like restart, more like wake up from
hilbernation,
later I figured it out.

> Here's a brief procedure that was suggested to me by a member of the
> Xfce community. It always works for me when this happens:
>
> 1. Reboot in recovery mode. (Hit <esc> key during grub splash, and
> select recovery mode.)

I entered from kernel (recover mode)

> 2. Log in to the recovery console with the root password.
>
> 3. Use su to change to the affected user id in the console. (su lina, in
> this case)
>
> 4. From the command line delete $HOME/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-*
> where * will be the machine id:display number. (probably
> /home/lina/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-<your_machine_name>:0)

I removed all inside the session part.

> 5. Reboot and bring up the system in the usual manner.

It works.

> The above procedure can clear corruptions in the session settings
> without removing most (any?) of your personally configured settings for
> panels, desktop, etc. At worst it can do no harm. Xfce is capable or
> re-creating the file you're deleting. I've never had to redo basic
> configurations for the desktop after using the procedure.
>
> I hope that information is useful. If not, then it at least should not
> cause you any further troubles.

Thanks, it's very helpful.

> Best regards,

Best regards,