Re: System locks

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:34:13 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Saturday 04,February,2012 06:38 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 18:00:52 +0800, lina wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Lina, next time try to choose a more descriptive subject :-)
>
> Yes. ^_^
>
> For everything the top taskbar was gone. Everything started with mean
> bars.
>
> After reboot twice, I can input. but the cursor still an empty
> rectangle.
>
> before I did not change anything.

Create a new user and login with it to see what happens.

>> When the system locks, try to login from ssh and see what happens. If
>> you can login normally, it can be X that crashes.
>
> My Desktop a bit crashed due to last time update, it's unstable version.
> I have not tried to figure out what was going on, just put it aside for
> a while. so now I can't use ssh.
>
> seems no need use ssh.

Having the ssh option is always a must. Is that you can't login via ssh
or is that you have not configure your system to be accessible by means
of ssh?

>> Also, review the logs for any insightful errors.
>
> which logs should I focus on?
>
> something about the screen move up?
>
> thanks, it's so nice to have yours guys on list, otherwise I will freak
> out.

Logs I would look at: /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, dmesg and your
~/.xsession-errors.log

But Lina, if you're running unstable the problem can have many sources: a
bug in a package, a package not updated, a kernel soft lock, an X
problem... so first, I would try to login with no X (init 1) and check if
things go better in there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón