Re: screwed up my network starting

H.S. wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > It is okay to have both specified, I usually do.
>
> When I dealt with this issue last (a few years ago), I was under the
> impression that only one needs to be used. Either I was mistaken then,
> or things have improved in the right direction.

You are correct.  Only one needs to be used.  But I am also correct in
that it is okay to have both.  :-) There isn't any problem having both
'auto' and 'allow-hotplug' in place.  If you don't have 'auto' then
'service networking restart' (the new preferred form over
'/etc/init.d/networking restart') won't do anything.  But if you do
use it then you get a deprecated warning letting you know that the
things are moving to an event driven world view.

It is now preferred to use 'allow-hotplug' and the event driven
interface for everything.  It is nice having the hook scripts in
/etc/network/if-up.d/* and other siblings there to trigger events when
interfaces come online and offline.  It is educational to browse
through there and see all of the activity that happens when a device
is brought up and down.

> > If your usb device appears as a network device I think it may be
> > confusing NetworkManager.  It is possible and perhaps likely that
> > NetworkManager is trying to set up this newly hotplugged interface,
> > that is what NM is designed to do, and then updating /etc/resolv.conf.
> > However this being the root of the issue is pure speculation on my
> > part.  It seems odd to me that your device would appear as a network
> > device.
>
> Seems reasonably. But when this problem occurred, I was using static
> address and my resolvconf was probably not working due to my config
> errors in interfaces file.

Sorry for not griping about NetworkManager loudly enough for my
disdain to be apparent.  :-) I am one of the people that have been
burned by NM and so do not like the assumptions it makes.  And now you
have been hit by it too!  Since NM is installed and running it will
notice that a new network device has appeared.  NetworkManager will
then configure it regardless of your desires one way or the other!
The only two ways to prevent NetworkManager from touching your devices
is to either a) specify them explicitly in /etc/network/interfaces
with an interface stanza.  (In this case maybe the 'manual' method is
the most appropriate, I don't know.) Or b) to remove NetworkManager
from your system so that it stops messing with the devices.  I always
remove NM from the system.  (Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It
wastes your time and annoys the pig.  --Robert Heinlein)

I was therefore implying that removing NetworkManager might make your
life easier because then it would stop trying to configure this new
network interface.  But in reality specifying the interface as
'manual' may be perfectly sufficient.

  iface eth1 inet manual   # <-- Use the right network device here.

> I didn't explain properly. The phrase was intended to mean that I am now
> using a shared ISP service, and I am using the other party's router.

I will read this as, using a different router than before, attached to
a different ISP than before.

> There are a few quirks in their setup which I would avoid, but that is a
> different topic. In any case, I am trying to do minimum changes in their
> router's configuration.

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

> Just to elaborate a bit, their router is also a wireless AP. I have
> configured my router as a wireless bridge to that AP (Tomato made that
> pretty easy).

And in theory if you are connected through a bridge it should
generally be the same as being connected directly without the bridge.

> I haven't still resolved what is the deal with Tomtom device appearing
> as a network device.

I don't have a Tomtom but my thoughts were also surprised by that way
of doing things.

> But my computer's networking is working fine with dhcp. All I now
> need to do is to configure resolvconf to use my specified opendns
> addresses.
>
> Thanks for all the explanations and corrections.

Glad to be able to help.

> Is there a GUI in KDE that allows do these kind of configurations,
> something akin to Gnome's nm-applet?

As far as I know NetworkManager is the default for both GNOME and KDE
on Debian installations.  NM was originally a GNOME based project but
I believe it is now used by both of those desktop projects.  But I
haven't set up KDE on a system in a while and so am not currently well
informed on the topic.  But I do test installs often and so if I
remember will queue one up and look to see what it uses.

Bob