Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 January 2012 16:19:06 Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson wrote:

>> My very first test is:
>> Can the "live system" *AS DELIVERED* connect to the internet?
>>
>> This distro (debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso)
>> evidently fails.
>> And evidently fails no matter how the internet is connected.
>
> Knoppix, the non-pareil of Lice CDs, that I have used for some 7 years now (I
> try other things, but always come back to Knoppix) doesn't immediately
> connect to the Internet, you have to set up networking.  Doing so is a
> doddle.  I simply don't see it as a problem.  (I haven't used a Live CD
> recently, and am having optical drive problems, so I may be out of date.)

To Lisi: I don't really see the advantage of Knoppix of the Live CDs
of Debian/Fedora/Ubuntu in any of the four DE flavors. It's just a
question of habit and preference.

To the OP: I writing this email using a Debian LXDE Live CD with the
same name as yours. It connected to the internet automatically at
boot...

It doesn't have Network Manager installed so your requirement to
"connect to internet via my USB Analog Modem" doesn't have a GUI.

I don't know why Debian's chosen not to include NM on its LXDE Live CD
but it's just a "apt-get update && apt-get install network-manager"
away for your corner case.