Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

On Thursday 26 January 2012 22:03:01 Tom H wrote:
> To Lisi: I don't really see the advantage of Knoppix of the Live CDs
> of Debian/Fedora/Ubuntu in any of the four DE flavors. It's just a
> question of habit and preference.

Yes, I like it better.  In the past it was generally accepted as the best, and
I still like it better.  Yes, that may be habit and preference.  But I don't
think any reasonable person could accuse Knoppix of not being a live CD, and
I usually have to tell it to start the network.  This is trivial to do, and I
like it because it means that I can set up a static connection.  And it
really is exceptionally good at hardware recognition.

I frequently log on to the command line in Knoppix.  But I have got a lot of
tools on the same CD.  Debian tends to require that you choose what you want
to do and select the appropriate CD.

But I don't want to start a flame war.  "My distro is better that your distro
so yah, boo!"  Each to his or her own.  That is what I like so much about
Linux, or rather, FLOSS in general.  You get to choose!!  I am not required
to fit into a one-size-fits-all mold.

Lisi