Re: Re(3): POP3 in Debian

On Vi, 20 ian 12, 17:28:29, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> Never been too bothered with spam.  Shaw offers filtration
> and I leave it off.  I wonder whether definite spams are
> caught by Shaw or further upstream.  Do I.S.P.s ever routinely check
> for it in outgoing mail.

In my experience both Gmail and GMX have some checks. I've been hit by
this when bouncing list spam to report-listspam@l.d.o.

> In any case, I just click away the few that arrive each day.  Might
> consider local filtering one day.

You are lucky, I get 50 to 100 spams per day. Gmail does have pretty
good filtering, but I do have occasional false negatives and even some
false positives. Because of the false positives I do regularly check the
Spam folder.

> Incidentally, someone please have a look at
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_email_subject_abbreviations
> section "Iteration of Reply" and point out any errors.  It's
> pertinent to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists page.

As far as I understand a mail client should add a "Re:" on the first
reply, but otherwise leave the Subject alone. Some broken clients don't
recognize the first "Re:" (due to case?) and add additional ones.

Your messages are the very few I have ever seen to also add a number,
which is why I just assumed either your client is broken or it is due to
your complicated e-mail setup, but it seems to me that at least mutt
knows how to deal with it:

,----[ muttrc(5) ]

|        reply_regexp
| 	      Type: regular expression
| 	      Default: “^(re([\[0-9\]+])*|aw):[ \t]*”
|
|           A  regular expression used to recognize reply messages when
|           threading and replying. The default value corresponds to the
|           English ”Re:”
|           and the German ”Aw:”.

`----

However, I have no RFC to cite, this is just what I have seen on mailing
lists and private mail.

Kind regards,
Andrei