Re: Strange kernel issue with DVD drive

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Jan 19 07:56:02 defiant kernel: : [385376.894378] quiet_error: 7709
> > callbacks suppressed
> >
> > Jan 19 07:56:02 defiant kernel: : [385376.894380] Buffer I/O error on
> > device sr0, logical block 183820
>

> (...)
>
> > I had considered swapping out the cable, but it is in good shape. Does
> > anyone have any other suggestions? There were no errors in playback on
> > the DVD, so I'm not sure what this is.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> Trying another IDE ribbon cable won't hurt and you'll get the results of
> this test very quickly. But there are another things to test.

Indeed.

> As you've changed the motherboard, maybe there is a setting in the BIOS
> for IDE ports that allow you to choose between different DMA modes
> ("auto" or force to specific one). This can be also worth to check.

I did not even think about this, as I only change hardware/reinstall
Debian every 5 or more years. :)

> If you have another optical device you can also try with it. These units
> get broken very easily.

true, but I was able to watch a DVD on it without errors. And it
burned a CD fine as well.

> When reinstalling, did you change your kernel version or kept the same
> you had before?

I was running sid before and sid now, so the only changes would be
through that. Though, Linus has been rather active of late, but I
don't think there was a kernel up in the short time I had it down...