Strange kernel issue with DVD drive

I recently upgraded my hardware from a Core2Duo to a Phenom II X4, with new mobo, RAM, video card, etc. I also reinstalled Debian, going from amd64 kernel with i386 userland to pure amd64.

Everything is fine except for one thing I have noticed in my logs. I played a dvd in the drive early last week, and ever since, I have been seeing intermittent entries such as:

Jan 19 07:56:02 defiant kernel: : [385376.894378] quiet_error: 7709 callbacks suppressed

Jan 19 07:56:02 defiant kernel: : [385376.894380] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 183820
At the present (and when these errors were generated), there was no disk in the drive. This is the same DVD-RW drive and cable that I had in the old setup. It is IDE with an 80-wire cable, and there is such a slot on the motherboard.

I had considered swapping out the cable, but it is in good shape. Does anyone have any other suggestions? There were no errors in playback on the DVD, so I'm not sure what this is.

Ideas?
--b