Re: Strange kernel issue with DVD drive

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:43:34 -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:

I wonder what people finds interesting about html formatted messages when
posting here >:-)

(...)

> Jan 19 07:56:02 defiant kernel: : [385376.894378] quiet_error: 7709
> callbacks suppressed
>
> Jan 19 07:56:02 defiant kernel: : [385376.894380] Buffer I/O error on
> device sr0, logical block 183820

(...)

> I had considered swapping out the cable, but it is in good shape. Does
> anyone have any other suggestions? There were no errors in playback on
> the DVD, so I'm not sure what this is.
>
> Ideas?

Trying another IDE ribbon cable won't hurt and you'll get the results of
this test very quickly. But there are another things to test.

As you've changed the motherboard, maybe there is a setting in the BIOS
for IDE ports that allow you to choose between different DMA modes
("auto" or force to specific one). This can be also worth to check.

If you have another optical device you can also try with it. These units
get broken very easily.

When reinstalling, did you change your kernel version or kept the same
you had before?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón