Re: Re(3): POP3 in Debian

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:28:29 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> *	From: Camale&#xF3;n <noelamac@gmail.com> *	Date: Fri, 20 Jan
2012
> 21:46:22 +0000 (UTC)
>> I've reviewed the messages you have posted in this thread but haven't
>> found a reference on what was your e-mail client :-?
>
> In "http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/01/msg01548.html"; the 4th
> non-empty line of the body of the message has "Oberon Mail (ejz) on PC
> Native 05.01.2003".

I missed/bypassed that, sorry. Maybe because the change of the subject.

> Then again near the bottom of the message, 4th non-empty line prior to
> "Regards".

I see. So did you finally reached to the conclusion that your MUA was the
culprit here? Good :-)

>> ... you miss one of the most useful tools for handling today's
>> mailboxes -running your own spamassassin- unless your ISP has a good
>> and fully customizable anti-spam filter.
>
> Never been too bothered with spam.  Shaw offers filtration and I leave
> it off.  I wonder whether definite spams are caught by Shaw or further
> upstream.  Do I.S.P.s ever routinely check for it in outgoing mail.  In
> any case, I just click away the few that arrive each day.  Might
> consider local filtering one day.

There are some ISPs that make a good job (when talking about
effectiveness) with their spam filters (e.g., Gmail) but the problem is
about configuration. The level of customization it allows a local anti-
spam filter is very high and such flexibility can't be obtained with my
Gmail account.

So finally, what are you going to do or what are now your plans regarding
your original issue? :-?

> Incidentally, someone please have a look at
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_email_subject_abbreviations
> section "Iteration of Reply" and point out any errors.  It's pertinent
> to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists page.

I've never heard about that. I mean, I'm not aware of any rule or
recommendation for writing at the "subject" line, I've always thought
it's "free-style" or based on the user's preferences. I think what
mandates here are the header fields.

What I can tell is that editing the subject line can make some MUAs
(mostly webmails) break the threading style by removing the required
references and/or reply-to headers.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón