Re: Re(3): POP3 in Debian

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:28:29 -0800
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> Never been too bothered with spam.  Shaw offers filtration
> and I leave it off.  I wonder whether definite spams are
> caught by Shaw or further upstream.

If their SMTP servers are checking for proper DNS and using blacklists,
that will deal with almost all spam. If you're downloading only for
legitimate recipients and not using a catch-all, that will take out
almost all the rest. The overwhelmingly vast majority of spam is the NDR
type, sent to deliberately non-existent recipient names.

>  Do I.S.P.s ever routinely
> check for it in outgoing mail.

Don't think so. About half the spam I get from from legitimate SMTP
sending servers comes from Google and Yahoo. Yahoo in particular are
right on the ball in stopping incoming spam, to the point of impeding
people trying to send their customers technical IT instructions, but
they don't seem to give a damn what their customers do. But most spam
comes directly from compromised domestic computers, not through an ISP's
smarthost, so DNS checks catch all that.

Lots of small US ISPs (<1000 IP addresses) seem happy for their clients
to send masses of spam, generally for legal but dubious products. If I
get spam from a large company or university, I'll usually let them
know, but these small ISPs go straight into the blacklist for the first
offence.

--
Joe