Re: Problems with Debian 6.0.3 and ESXi5.0

On 1/18/2012 6:37 PM, James Robertson wrote:
>> I got a serious problem with a Debian install on an ESXi 5.0 Server.
>> Debian installs fine and seems to run fine, but the harddisk performance is
>> really low.
>> I got latency times of about 44 seconds, tested with bonnie++.
>>
>> What I´ve done:
>> - New machine in ESXi, harddisk controller "LSI Parallel" (Debian uses the
>> LSI53c1030 driver (mptlinux v 3.04.12))
>> - hdparm -i /dev/sda says:
>> /dev/sda
>> SG_IO bad / missing sense data.
>>
>> The latest drivers from LSI are 4.28. I don´t know if it is a driver problem
>> oder VMWare Problem.
>> I also did a new install with harddisk controller setting "LSI SAS", but no
>> performance improvement.
>>
>> The VMWare ESXi Server should be alright, because a SLES11 Instance that
>> runs on the same machine and same datastore performs well.
>> LSI provides new drivers (v 4.28) but RHEL/SLES only and a conversion via
>> alien and later install of the deb-File brought no change.
>>
>> Anyone got a clue how to get this running?
>
> Have you installed vmware tools?

Use the Linux mainline VMware PVSCSI driver.  If it's not available in the default 2.6.32 Squeeze kernel then grab a recent BPO kernel package, which should have it.  And, of course, assign the  VMware virtual SCSI HBA to the virtual machine in question in Virtual Center.

This may be easier than trying to install the same driver with the vmware tools scripts, especially if you don't have the kernel headers installed.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_pvscsi_perf.pdf

--
Stan