terminator using wrong browser

This is a minor annoyance, and not high priority, but:

Why is it that when reading mail in mutt in terminator (gnome
terminator, tiling terminal thingy), and I click on a link and choose to
open it, it uses chromium-browser?

I have iceweasel set as my default x-www-browser with
debian-alternatives.
I use a stripped down openbox (not panels or other bloat), so do not
have any gnome preferences thingies to look at, but I did look in
~/.gconf/desktop/url-handlers/%gconf.xml
and it seems iceweasel is also selected there.

I can find nothing in terminator's own preferences that determines what
browser to use.

If I click on links in mutt (or otherwise) in another terminal emulator,
say lxterminal, nothing happens, so I can only assume this is specific to terminator.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!